When asked bout promoting green technologies and fuel efficiency standards, Obama said, "[For] this to happen, we've got to be courageous enough to not just talk about it in front of the Sierra Club or organizations already sympathetic to us. When I announced my proposal to increase fuel efficiency standards on cars, I went to Detroit in front of the automakers and said they had to change their ways..and I told them that when I am president, there will be no more excuses - we will help them retool their factories, but they will have to make cars that use less oil."
According to the Obama-Biden website, the Obama-Biden comprehensive New Energy for
America plan will:
- Provide short-term relief to American families facing pain at the pump
- Help create five million new jobs by strategically investing $150 billion over the next ten years to catalyze private efforts to build a clean energy future.
- Within 10 years save more oil than we currently import from the Middle East and Venezuela combined.
- Put 1 million Plug-In Hybrid cars -- cars that can get up to 150 miles per gallon -- on the road by 2015, cars that we will work to make sure are built here in America.
- Ensure 10 percent of our electricity comes from renewable sources by 2012, and 25
percent by 2025.
- Implement an economy-wide cap-and-trade program to reduce greenhouse gas emissions 80 percent by 2050.
Find out more on Barack Obama
When asked about nuclear, wind, tide, solar, gas, coal, John McCain said, "We can work on nuclear power plants. Build a whole bunch of them, create millions of new jobs. We have to have all of the above, alternative fuels, wind, tide, solar, natural gas, clean coal technology. All of these things we can do as Americans and we can take on this mission and we can overcome it."
According to the McCain-Palin website, John McCain's Principles for Climate Policy are,
- Climate Policy Should Be Built On Scientifically-Sound, Mandatory Emission
Reduction Targets And Timetables.
- Climate Policy Should Utilize A Market-Based Cap And Trade System.
- Climate Policy Must Include Mechanisms To Minimize Costs And Work Effectively With Other Markets.
- Climate Policy Must Spur The Development And Deployment Of Advanced Technology.
- Climate Policy Must Facilitate International Efforts To Solve The Problem.
Find out more on John McCain